This handbook discusses the numerous alterations within the TOW missile, TOW education, and OPFOR armored automobiles and countermeasures. It comprises education details at the M220A1 (basic) and M220A2 tube-launched, optically tracked, wire-guided (TOW) weapon structures and service M966. Its meant viewers comprises leaders and participants of mechanized infantry, mild infantry, airborne, and airmobile infantry businesses who educate and attempt members and crews.
The TOW is a crew-portable heavy antitank missile weapon system
that could be operated from armored, flippantly armored, and unarmored
multipurpose automobiles and helicopters, and from the floor mount. The
system involves a guided missile and a launcher to interact tanks,
fortifications, and different materiel goals. The time period “TOW” is an acronym
derived from the phrases that describe the valuable working positive aspects of
the missile⎯tube-launched, optically tracked, wire-guided. The launcher
initiates, tracks, and controls the flight of the missile by way of assistance signals
transmitted over a command-link twine that connects the missile with the
The TOW weapon method contains a launcher, which has monitoring and keep watch over services, and the missile, that's encased in a release box. The launcher is supplied with self-contained, replaceable units.
a. features. The TOW is especially an antitank weapon used for long-range engagement of armored objectives. it may be hired in all climatic conditions so long as the gunner can see his objective throughout the daysight tracker or nightsight. The TOW additionally presents a long-range attack power opposed to seriously fortified bunkers, tablet bins, and
(1) The ITOW missile can ruin objectives at a minimal diversity of sixty five meters and a greatest diversity of 3,750 meters. The TOW 2B missile can wreck ambitions at a minimal variety of 288 meters while fired from the floor mount and two hundred meters whilst fired from the HMMWV or BFV. The TOW 2B has a greatest diversity of 3,750 meters no matter if floor- or vehicle-mounted.
(2) the automated missile monitoring and keep an eye on services of the TOW weapon process supply a excessive first-round-hit chance. to function the approach, the gunner areas the crosshairs of the sighting process (either the daysight tracker or the nightsight) at the goal, fires the missile, and facilities the crosshairs at the aim photo till missile impression. The optical monitoring and command features in the approach consultant the missile alongside the gunner’s line of sight. The gunner doesn't follow lead, windage, or elevation.
b. Mobility. The TOW weapon procedure should be vehicle-mounted or flooring emplaced (tripod-mounted) for operation. Missiles may be introduced from both operational mode. (Detailed working strategies for every configuration are supplied in Chapters 2 and 3.)
(1) the total procedure might be hand-carried via a weapon workforce; as a result, emplacement websites should be replaced speedy to lessen detection or to interact goals which are out of range.
(2) The vehicle-mounted launcher is extra cellular and will be speedy ready to be used. The launcher could be assembled and disassembled with no using tools.
(3) integrated self-test circuits can be utilized to ascertain the operational situation of the assembled launcher even if flooring- or vehicle-mounted.